Indian pharmaceutical industry has grown very well in the last few years and is expected to maintain the growth rate for next upcoming years too. The pharma retail segment is very promising & upcoming segment and since pharma logistics is very important stages of the operations for any pharmaceutical business, pharma companies are ready to spend to improve efficiency of supply chain therefore logistics providers have great opportunity to cater this market.
A well designed supply chain with robust planning cycles that take care of the various lead times in the end to end supply chain that can help achieve speed to market as well as an agile supply chain. Thus logistics and SCM are expected to play a significant role in Indian Pharma industry and could contribute towards the enhancement of productivity as well as growth of the industry. Here are the important considerations for Pharma SCM are:
- Protection from contamination etc.
- Managing perishable products
- Maintaining temperature control
- Exceptionally long cycle times
- Maintaining inventory
- Specialized packaging
- Barcode scanners
- Data loggers for temperature control
- To maintain delivery schedules and meet deadlines
- Relative humidity indicators (RH)
- Temperature Mapping for the storage area before monitoring critical and temperature sensitive products (vaccines)